Monday, July 4, 2011

Top of the hill

Whilst working on the photographs for the last two projects, I spent a fair amount of time on top of the hill overlooking the stadium and shot a few frames that had nothing whatsoever to do with the projects, however, these intrigued me and I want to put them in this blog as a reminder to consider this location for some upcoming activities.

An alternative object to include in my landscape images could have been this tree, sitting alone on the crest of a hill:


Although, very much a cliche, the solitary tree in a landscape framing, there is something very satisfying about such an image.  I have pushed the greens and somewhat darkened the sky.  This is another example of a scene/location, in the heart of the city, that could be high up in the mountains.

The most impressive aspect of the hill is the wind turbine on the top, however, not the easiest thing to image in an interesting way.  With the following shot I tried to add some foreground detail.  I could not get low enough for this to work.  The sky is the heart of the shot.


As was pointed out by Yiannitsa (a fellow student), the above image has a bit of a lean to it, so here is a correction:


Looking the other way, the sky was radiant, with the sun trying to break through a layer of thin cloud.  This was really magical and I shot the following.  Much post processing was needed as well as square framing to put the sun into the corner


Finally this hill provides a unique viewpoint of the city. I shot this with the 17mm, however, using a telephoto will generate some nice aerial perspective as the heat of the summer generates a perpetual haze over the city.  In the distant left of the photograph on the horizon is the power station that featured in Project 2.


My goal for assignment 1 is a similar hill, the Olympiaberg, again a rubble mountain, but much closer to the city center and yielding an equally interesting mix of parkland and modern architecture.  This exploration has taught me much about framing such images and the potential of the city for wide as well as tight shots.

Finally as with my other posts the place is important:


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment